Friday, November 04, 2005

The Annual Authentic Existence Multimedia Minimalist Technology Conference

is an institution in Hattiesburg. Under the auspices of old-school Hattiesburg musician Scott Panther, The Conference is a two-day showcase of the innovative, experimental, loud and crazy.

This is the 11th year of The Conference. Each year, Panther says that it's the last, but Hattiesburg just won't let him retire. The Conference is November 15th and 16th this year, and I strongly recommend that you try to catch at least one of the nights.

Use the comments section below to post your memories of The Conference of years past.



Before the Conference there was the Pajama Party. Before the PJ Party there was an annual show on the 4th of July, the name of which escapes me. I remember one Summer, I had just bought a video camera and took it to the show which was at the American Building. Scott sees me with the camera and decides to show off. He grabs one of those plastic American "Made in China" flags that were lining Hardy Street and tries to light it on fire with a bic. Someone is holding the flag level and Scott is trying to light it up from underneath. I'm with the camera thinking, "Oh please, Oh please, Oh please." I knew what was about to happen. The flag did start to burn, and it melted onto Scott's hand. I can't believe I lost that damn video tape.  


Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger and Blogger Templates